Welcome!

This is your EMWP Summer Institute Book Group blog. You are asked to post at least once a week before and during the Institute. Your group leader will post additional assignments and post topics. Check back often. If you have any questions or concerns contact your leader, Angela - angela.k.knight@gmail.com.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Why I Selected "Writing Circles"

     Like most schools across Michigan, writing is a school improvement goal that our school is working on.  To assist with this, we decided to adopt the Lucy Caulkins approach to writing.  We bought the different set of books and received minimal training on how to utilize the methodology in the literature.  I must confess that I am overwhelmed at how to get out of the first book on narrative writing. The true challenge for me is to find time in my schedule to be able to teach all of the components of writing while teaching all other subjects and providing time for some elective opportunities for my 4th and 5th grade students.  It has been a daunting task, as I am sure it is for most other teachers, as well.  Therefore, when I was asked to select a book that I could read and work with over the summer, I wanted to make a selection that would be worthwhile and help to utilize my time in the classroom to the utmost.  I picked up the book "Writing Circles," by Jim Vopat and began to thumb through it.  It seemed to have similar text features and chapter styles to another book I utilize regarding reading by Timothy Rasinski, and one that I thoroughly enjoy.  I then began to read the matrix printed on the inside cover of the book. There were four things that caught and kept my attention: 
  • Kids choose their own reading materials.
  • Discussion topics come from the students.
  • The teacher serves as a facilitator, not a group member or instructor.
  • Evaluation is by teacher observation and student self-evaluation. 
     These are key components to our school's mission and vision to help develop and foster independent learners.  I try to allow students to have choice and voice in my classroom so that they will be invested in what they are doing.  This book seemed to encompass both my philosophies on teaching and learning, and my school's goals.

     Upon further investigation in looking at the book, I can also observe the connection between reading and writing. This is essential to developing good writers.  It also meets our common core standards and Michigan grade level content expectations to have students respond to what they are reading in both oral and written expression.  This will give students a better application to moving up the Bloom's taxonomy and get the deeper meanings and text-to-self connections that I want to instill in my young writers. Since it also combines reading, this will be a more effective tool for looking at combining time for teaching in the classroom. Since I am a facilitator and not an instructor, students could decide when it was convenient for them to meet during the day (instills independent planning skills).

     I have already shared this book with my colleagues in grades 4-8.  We have decided to read this book, "Writing Circles," together as a reading group and try to implement a writing circle with this over the summer and into next fall. Our own experiences with this method will help us to develop better writers in our educational institution.

     I am hopeful that this book will help me to find the balance I need to produce more effective writing in the classroom and enhance an already successful classroom reading program, without being overwhelming.

1 comment:

  1. Cynthia,
    I love that you have already shared this with your 6-8 teachers! Please keep us posted about how your adult writing circles go.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.